Monday, March 3, 2008

Quilting tip of the week

I am a little behind on posting my quilting tips, and do apologize to you all. I will try to get you caught up on the tips I have been sending to my members at Quilting Weekly.



This Weeks hot tip is:

I hear people talking about the "Bias" what does that mean?

Here is a definition of bias:

Any diagonal line between the crosswise or lengthwise grain line in woven fabric. The bias grain has more stretch and is less stable than the crosswise or lengthwise grain. True bias: intersects the lengthwise grain and the crosswise grain at a 45 degree angle.

Here are some other "bias" facts for you.

Bias bars: Purchased metal or heat-resistant plastic bars in varying widths that are used to make bias stems.

Bias bindings: Binding strips cut on the true bias (see above) grain, resulting in a binding that can be easily positioned around curved edges. When striped fabrics are cut on the bias, the result is a "barber pole" effect.

Bias seams: When bias edges of fabric are sewn together, a bias seam results. This seam can be easily stretched and distorted and must be handled with care.

Bias stems: Fabric strips cut on the bias grain so that they are flexible enough to bend without wrinkles or puckers when making floral stems or vines for appliqués.

Bias strips: Long, thin pieces of fabric cut on the bias grain.

That is about all I have to say about bias. Since I am behind this week, you will see a few more tips this week so that I can get caught up. I am sure you won't mind more tips...........right?

No comments:

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software