Friday, August 29, 2008

Proud to be a Quilter!

Quilting, brings me joy. It can be challenging and freeing at the same time. I love to look at fabric in fact I can stay in the fabric isles for hours and not even know it. I look at the fabric colors and textures and imagine what I could do with them when they come home with me. I get so many ideas, and well I have to admit sometimes they never actually happen. But buying fabric well it always makes me smile. And in todays world, we can never get enough smiles.

Fabric and patterns inspire me. But I really enjoy the art if exploration and creativity that flows out of my sole when I start a new project. There is nothing like it. When an idea hits and I start a new project, I can go on for hours and hours. House work, food, and sleep all become secondary to me. Does this ever happen to you?

Over the years, I have met many wonderful people in the quilting world both online and off. When I meet someone who shares the same passion for quilting as I do it is like an explosion of ideas and joy. Quilting used to be something only old ladies did and mostly because they had to, to keep warm. (Sorry not trying to offend anyone here)I am not all that young anymore myself. I may be one of the gray haired cane carrying ladies before you know it. Well maybe not the gray haired part as long as there are salons and hair dye! Gray is definitely not my color. LOL

One thing I know for sure is I need to stay involved in quilting and join as many groups as I can, like guilds or bees, and especially charity groups. Even online groups and forums can give me the fix I need some days. I can find inspirations or get help on something when I need it, or even get criticism on a project. Quilter are supportive and honest. Some too honest. Ha ha.

Nothing says I love you like a quilt. I was a part of a group called "Charity Sisters" a while back and we did nothing but make quilts from scraps for charity. The y fell apart after the quilt shop we met at closed. I still keep in touch with some of the ladies. The feeling you get when you give something you put your heart and sole into to someone in need........well there are no words to describe that feeling. I have not met a quilter yet who has not given at least one quilt to charity. I am so proud to be a part of a group like this. Quilters are the most generous people I know. And I know a lot of quilters now!

Quilters.......take a bow...........now pick up your fabric, thread, and needles and go make another quilt. The world needs you.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software