Monday, January 5, 2009

Composition quilting lesson

As I develop as an artist, I find the need to explore other arts to enhance my learning. I never took any formal art training although I wish I had. Many times I find myself asking questions about what might look good when working with my art quilts, or landscape quilts which I am now exploring more thoroughly. Even simple photographs are hard to capture without a basic understanding of "composition"

Has this ever happened to you?
I find myself looking out the window of a car, and may see something that I say "Wow that would make a great subject for an art quilt or landscape quilt." But then I begin to pull out my camera snap a few pictures only to find out later that I missed the shot or it doesn't inspire me like when I first saw it. What could I be doing wrong?

The answer is simple, I don't understand composition. (must have slept through that part in art class back in high school) I remember the word but what does it mean, and how will it help me?

If you feel you would like a better understanding of how to capture that perfect photo, or layout that perfect landscape quilt, then you need to look at Kodak's Beginnings of photographic composition website

After looking through this easy to follow tutorial, I now have a better understanding composition and how it can make or break my photographs, and my future art quilts.

This Composition Quilting Lesson is a very important one, and if you plan on expanding your knowledge like me, then take a few minutes and look at the site. If you have any comments on this subject or any other post here in my comments section. Quilting Lessons Online wants to help you learn and your comments help me understand what your needs are.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software