Saturday, December 29, 2007

How do I cut my quilt blocks?

How Do I Cut My Blocks? This is a question I get asked a lot. So I thought this might shed some light on the subject for those of you who want to know.

Here are some various ways to cut your fabric for quilt blocks. Take a look at the different ways to cut your fabric, and see the benefits of each one. Then choose the one that is best for you.
What method is best for my project?

Templates –

1) Good for single blocks.
2) Good for hand piecing.
3) Can be very accurate. (Depending on your ability to trace and cut accurately)

Cutting blocks with a rotary cutter, ruler and mat-

1) The use of rotary cutters, rulers and mats, with proper use can lead to very accurate blocks.
2) It allows you to cut multiple layers of fabric at once, resulting in more blocks with less time.

Paper Piecing also known as foundation piecing –(using random pieces of fabric)

1) Good for unusual shapes.
2) It is very forgiving.
3) It is a great way to use up left over scraps of material, and almost eliminate precutting.
4) Can be very accurate.

Strip Cutting, or Piecing –


1) A quick way to make several blocks of the same style, shape or size.
2) It is fast, easy and accurate.
3) It makes better use of your fabric.

For more great tips like this, please bookmark my site or add me to your feed reader to keep up on all my latest posts. You can also check out my online classroom "Quilting Weekly" where you can get all your quilting questions answered in our forums, classrooms, chatroom, or e-mail our teachers directly!

No comments:

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software